Saturday 21 June 2008

Rosella Jam... FINALLY!!!

For those sick of hearing about our Rosella monster bush we have finally harvested and made the jam!!!

Picking the Fruit...
Everyone got involved, Dragon was quite helpful, Lion felt his skills would be better put to use running around the yard pretending to be an echidna sucking up ants.


Making the Jam...

First you make a batch of peanut butter cookies to keep you going because there is a lot of work to do...

Mummy McTavish Peanut butter cookies

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup sugar (best with half brown and half white or raw for that gooey inside and crunchy outside)

1 egg

mix it all together, add bit and pieces if you want (chocolate, chopped dried fruit...) bake in a moderate oven for 10 minutes. let them cool on the tray.

then you've got to get all those seeds out, so get some helpers... I roped in Grandma and GREAT-grandma. Also, great-grandma knows how to make it so we really needed her.


then there is a lot of chopping (we got through it super fast thanks to our two Tupperware Quickchef's:) ), cooking, waiting, stirring, messing, bottling and a few other steps and you get some REALLY YUMMY JAM! we got 11 bottles of various sizes. some quite small some were REALLY large. It took all day, because we had nearly 6kg of rosellas to get through, but we learnt how to make rosella jam and we have a cupboard full of jam to have on scones and pikelets!



4 comments:

  1. That must have been hard work!! The jam looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Possum - the jam looks yummy - but I just can't imagine myself eating rosella jam. I have never heard of the rosella bush or its fruit before. When I read "Rosella Jam" my mind conjures up this horrific image of a pretty bird squashed in a door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could havefound a more flattering photo of Grandma Echidna/Excavator/Lion

    ReplyDelete
  4. And my name is not "Anonymous" just because I can't remember my password.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, even if it's just to say "Hi, I stopped by for a read today"
We love comments, we don't love spam. Too much spam means I'm moderating comments now and have put on an anti-robot word verification doo-dad, sorry.