Friday 22 April 2011

Good Friday 2011

Continuing from the last couple of Easters I'll post some favourite Hymns of mine that reflect on the wonder of Easter.

There's a good chance, even if you've never put a foot inside a church that you have heard the hymn "The Old Rugged Cross".  Whether you go to church or not, there's good chance that when you heard it you thought it was a bit of a stodgy old hymn... it's not.  Don't get me wrong, I have heard it played so incredibly terribly... just a little google search to check I had the words right gave me a dozen more dodgy versions.  THE BEST version I have ever heard was acapella... no music... at all.  Fantastic.

So, without distractions... just the words...


The Old Rugged Cross
George Bennard (1873-1958)

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
the emblem of suffering and shame;
and I love that old cross where the dearest and best
for a world of lost sinners was slain.

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it some day for a crown.


O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
has a wondrous attraction for me;
for the dear Lamb of God left his glory above
to bear it to dark Calvary.

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it some day for a crown.


In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
a wondrous beauty I see,
for 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
to pardon and sanctify me.

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it some day for a crown.


To that old rugged cross I will ever be true,
its shame and reproach gladly bear;
then he'll call me some day to my home far away,
where his glory forever I'll share.

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it some day for a crown.




If you want to know more about why this Friday is GOOD, why Jesus had to die, or if you have anything else you want to talk to me about... you can leave a comment or you can email me at MummyMcTavish(at)gmail(dot)com

 Take care over this long weekend!

4 comments:

  1. A happy and blessed Easter to your family. Thanks for sharing the words of the hymn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one and Rock of Ages were Grandad's favourites too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Old Rugged Cross has been my favourite hymn since I was a little girl - I remember being so proud when I knew all the words off by heart. I hope you had a wonderful easter & are enjoying your school holidays.
    Have a wonderful day
    Renata:)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, even if it's just to say "Hi, I stopped by for a read today"
We love comments, we don't love spam. Too much spam means I'm moderating comments now and have put on an anti-robot word verification doo-dad, sorry.