Tuesday 8 July 2008

Biblical Meme (the real one)




BoufMom9 began a Biblical Meme a few weeks ago, and she invited Mum-me to play along who invited me to play along. Here are the rules of the game:

1. Choose a person in the Bible who most represents who you are.
2. Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration, scripture or bible story if you like
3. Link to the person that tagged you in your post and to this original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere.
4 .Tag five more blogs with links.
5. And don’t forget to leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play!

ps If you are not a religious person, please feel free to use classic literature instead.

This is the real version, although I am flattered by Wolf’s Jael version and occasionally would like to tent peg a few heads to the floor I think I had better do this myself.


Well, who am I? Last term our small group for church studied Proverbs which led to proverbs 31. Wouldn’t we all love to say “I am the proverbs 31 woman”??? Well, I am under no delusions that I am not at all like the proverbs 31 woman. I am actually glad that the bible doesn’t give her a name because we (I) would probably find it so much easier to dislike her a lot if she had a name that made her an identifiable person. I would like to say that I would be jealous of the housekeeping type stuff that she obviously excels at but mostly I want to strive for the two verses towards the end.

V25 She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs with no fear of the future. V26 When she speaks, her words are wise, and kindness is the rule when she gives instructions.

And I would love to say Lemuels mother who gave him the sage advice of proverbs 31 but I doubt if “don’t stick your finger up your nose or it will bleed and might fall off” counts as being on the same level as proverbs 31.

But I do feel most identifiable with Jochebed. Moses Mum. We really don’t know much about her as a wife other than her husband was Amram but I can identify with her mothering style. I can't imagine how her whole body must have just broken down when she heard the news that all the male Israelite babies were to be thrown into the Nile and I hope I never have to deal with anything that terrifying with my kids but Jochebed didn’t go all “mother-bear” and try and fight off the Egyptians that would come to take her baby away, that would surely have lead to death for her as well as her baby Moses. She didn’t try to flee into the desert with her baby, the outcome for that would have been similar to the first option only most likely slower. Nope, she used her brain, she hid her son for as longs as she could and then when she couldn’t hide him in her home any more she put him in a basket in the reeds and set her daughter in place to watch over him. Obviously she passed on some of her brains to her daughter because when the princess came along and found the baby, Miriam stepped forwards and said “would you like me to find a Hebrew woman to nurse him for you?” then she went and got Moses own mum to be given care of him until he had finished nursing! (And she got paid for it! Perhaps the first instance of family assistance from the government???)
She raised all her children not to be perfect but to be men and women of God. To be proud of who they were and to stand up for their beliefs. They fought with each other and probably were rude to their parents on occasion but they had put their faith in God.
Actually I wish I could identify with her a bit more, I think at times when my family are involved I might get a little too “mother bear” and not enough “mother of Moses” but I try, I try to teach my children not to come out swinging but to use your brain and think the situation through. I seem to be telling Lion more and more lately “stop and think about it” not just problems with other people but any problem. It doesn’t mean you have to be trampled over but if it’s something you believe in and it’s worth standing up for it’s okay to fight. Just think it through first. I have been accused of too much thinking and not enough action, but not on things that really matter.

If this is too long winded and confusing I am sorry but if you ask my bible study group, I am not known for cohesive trains of thought in this area.

So now I have to tag some people. I don’t have that many bloggy friends yet so I’ll just tag one person.

The Chimera from CASTLE IN THE AIR.

Anyone else that wants to play along, consider yourself tagged.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you decided not to say you were most like the Proverbs 31 woman, because I do dislike her! I was reading it the other day and came to the conclusion that she could not possibly have been ALL that, ALL the time. I decided that she was ALL that over the course of her lifetime. Seriously, how many devoted mothers have the time and energy to be up before dawn every day and buy fields and sell linen? I reckon she did that after her children were grown up. And, we have to remind ourselves, that she had servant girls!!!!

    It is good, too, that you are confident that you are being a wise and kind mother. Those two qualities seem to constantly elude me.


    I liked your Meme. Did you leave a comment at Debi's blog? (Who says 8 is enough?) She was interested in keeping up with how far and wide the Meme went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I said I want to STRIVE to be wise and kind, I have my moments where I think I am, but I need a bit (lot) of work. It's all going fine then BAM, one kid whacks the other over the head after you've already had a bad day and the wisdom and kindness of their mother goes out the window. I am after all a (nearly) normal mother;-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, even if it's just to say "Hi, I stopped by for a read today"
We love comments, we don't love spam. Too much spam means I'm moderating comments now and have put on an anti-robot word verification doo-dad, sorry.